brain injury C O A C H

If you’ve had a brain injury, you need a support system—people who believe you and can direct you to the help you need. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session and let’s see how I can help you.

Book now. 

Coaching call, TAOS

You need to create your own map.

Brain injury is still poorly understood, and not fully taken seriously by the medical community. The health fall-out can be catastrophic, and you may be left without answers. You are in charge of your health and advocating and finding the best avenues for your care. This is a particularly cruel task when your body’s main computer has just been smashed to bits. You have to find your way and keep seeking answers.

Brain injuries with persistent symptoms can be extremely expensive. A conservative estimate for my healthcare costs is around $44,000 over the past 3 years.

This doesn’t count the thousands of unpaid hours I spent on research to find answers about my condition, or the salary I would have earned had I been able to work during that time.

I am not a professional, but I have a lot of experience with mild traumatic brain injury. I’m here to help you find a way forward. I can offer you what I’ve learned through my research and point you in a good direction.

Here’s my story.

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 11.13.08 PM

Mild Traumatic Brain injuries can be far from mild. About 80% of people recover fairly quickly, while the remaining 20% have a longer, sometimes indefinite, time horizon for their healing.

When I got a concussion in February 2015, I fell into the second category. My symptoms did not go away in a few weeks, as both the Instacare and emergency room physicians had claimed they would (no one ought to claim that; they would have to do an in-depth evaluation of my particular medical history to responsibly hazard a guess. Even then, they might not come close).

These doctors gave me no indication of where to go for help if my symptoms did not resolve.

I tried to go back to work too early. That caused my constant pain to increase. So I quit my job and became a full-time case manager of my injury. I had a hard time finding the right medical help. This is a fairly common experience. The brain’s structural changes with these “mild” injuries are more fine and nuanced and do not show up on CT scans or MRIs, which are suited to detecting large structural changes in the brain.

But the damage and changes in function are real.  People can spend years seeking a multitude of treatments for a host of symptoms. Progress can be slow and arduous.

Each brain injury survivor needs a support system of people who understand and who believe them.

For me, that support system came from people online, other survivors who are trying treatments and reporting back about how they work and what doctors to go see. The saying goes that if you’ve seen a brain injury you’ve seen one brain injury. Every brain is unique and every individual’s circumstances will be unique. Financial resources, the necessity of working, Worker’s Comp, insurance, and other considerations will affect when and whether someone can return to work and what sorts of treatments and therapies they can pursue.

 

You have a future. You can improve.

Three years into recovery, my symptoms are incredibly improved. I still work every day to get back to normal. I am here to be a friend and a guide through the confusing world of brain injury recovery. I consult with you individually and offer support and knowledge from my years of research. You need to talk to someone who has been through the concussion wringer, I am here to help.